Adaptation Unit

Our service is tobuild an adaption unit to help with special requirement set out by your Occupational Therapist and any other needs that may help and aid mobility and Independence in and around the home.

An ‘Adapted Home’ is one with things specially fitted to the property itself – from minor fittings to major installations.

Most people want to stay in their own home for as long as possible. If you are a disabled person there may be physical barriers that make it difficult for you to carry out ordinary day to day activities in your home. If you, or someone you live with has a disability, you may be eligible to a grant to pay for adaptations to your home. A disabled facilities grant is a means tested council grant of up to £30,000 to assist with the costs incurred in adapting your home to allow access to normal household facilities. If the adaptation is for a child (under 19) you will not have to contribute to the cost. This grant is available to owner-occupiers, private and housing association tenants (with the landlord’s permission) and council tenants who have had the work refused by housing services. The adaptations must be necessary to meet the needs of the disabled person and also be reasonable and practical given the age and condition of the property.


Here are examples of the adaptations that can help give better freedom of movement into and around the home, and to essential facilities within it.

  • Ramps
  • Stairlifts
  • Door widening
  • Bathroom adaptations
  • Kitchen adaptations
  • Improve heating and lighting
  • Measures to make your home safe for a disabled person
  • Provide reasonable access to garden

Skillform London Ltd.

The Disability Discrimination Act 1995 (c 50) is an Act of the Parliament of the United Kingdom which makes it unlawful to discriminate against people in respect of their disabilities in relation to employment, the provision of goods and services, education and transport. It is a civil rights law. Other countries use constitutional, social rights or criminal law to make similar provisions. The Equality and Human Rights Commission provides support for the Act. Equivalent legislation exists in Northern Ireland, which is enforced by the Northern Ireland Equality Commission.